With training camp not too far off, the New England Patriots formally uncovered their 2019 coaching staff Tuesday afternoon with the release of their annual media guide.
Most modifications to the staff — and there were an entire bunch after five assistants took positions somewhere else during the offseason — were accounted for months back, yet Tuesday’s release incorporated a few bits of new data.
Here’s a speedy rundown:
— Joe Kim, who got on a “pass rush consultant” last season, has a new title: director of ability advancement.
— Cole Popovich, a Patriots coaching assistant for every one of the last four seasons, was elevated to assistant running backs mentor. He’ll work nearby Ivan Fears, who’s entering his 23rd season as a Patriots assistant.
— Greg Schiano’s abrupt departure didn’t alter Bob Fraser’s plans. Fraser, who coached under Schiano in every one of the latter’s last 11 seasons as a college or NFL head coach/defensive coordinator, is remaining on as a Patriots coaching assistant. Previous Youngstown State offensive line mentor Carmen Bricillo likewise will fill in as an coaching assistant, with Brian Belichick staying in that role, also.
— Steve Belichick’s media guide entry lists his position group as “secondary, safeties,” proposing he’ll take on extra responsibilities in the defensive backfield this season. That makes sense considering the Patriots’ new cornerbacks mentor is 25-year-old previous pro lacrosse player Mike Pellegrino, who’s entering his first year as a position mentor after spending the last four as a coaching assistant.
— As expected, the Patriots don’t have an official defensive coordinator. Head coach Bill Belichick is relied upon to deal with those obligations this season, however it was eminent to see first-year inside linebackers mentor Jerod Mayo calling defensive signals during minicamp. Everyone will check whether that proceeds with once training camp practice starts Thursday.
Here is the Patriots’ full 2019 coaching staff:
- Head coach: Bill Belichick
- Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks: Josh McDaniels
- Running backs: Ivan Fears
- Offensive line: Dante Scarnecchia
- Tight ends: Nick Caley
- Special teams coordinator/wide receivers: Joe Judge
- Defensive line: Bret Bielema
- Inside linebackers: Jerod Mayo
- Outside linebackers: DeMarcus Covington
- Cornerbacks: Mike Pellegrino
- Secondary, safeties: Steve Belichick
- Assistant quarterbacks: Mick Lombardi
- Assistant running backs: Cole Popovich
- Assistant special teams: Cam Achord
- Director of skill development: Joe Kim
- Coaching assistants: Brian Belichick, Carmen Bricillo, Bob Fraser
- Head strength and conditioning: Moses Cabrera
- Assistant strength and conditioning: Deron Mayo