A field of seven entered Saturday’s Grade 3, $500,000 Ohio Derby, the mark race every June at JACK Thistledown, with two colts leaving the Triple Crown arrangement the top decisions.
Worldwide Campaign will join Kentucky Derby sprinter Long Range Toddy and Preakness Stakes contender Owendale going 1/8 miles in a short at the same time, in the meantime, profound field.
Here’s the field and morning line chances for the Ohio Derby, which goes to post 5:10 p.m. ET.
1. Math Wizard, 8-1 (Algorithms — Saffie Joseph/Edgard Zayas — 9: 2-1-2): Blinkers fall off after a fourth-place exertion in the Oaklawn Invitational won by Laughing Fox, who went on to the Preakness Stakes from that point. Two back, this previous claimer inspired when fourth in the Wood Memorial (G2) won by Tacitus. In higher-class races, he has run mid-pack or more distant back and neglected to kick on to genuinely contend. In this top-overwhelming race, anticipate something comparative. Underneath, best case scenario.
2. Owendale, 9-5 (Into Mischief — Brad Cox/Florent Geroux — 9: 3-1-2): He kept running outwardly, against an alleged inclination, to complete third in the Preakness Stakes and keeps on resembling an improving 3-year-old. Two back, he shut with another outside raced to win Keeneland’s Lexington (G3). Stablemate Warrior’s Charge set him up at Pimlico, and there doesn’t give off an impression of being very as much speed marked on this time. Would he be able to arrive? Win contender.
3. Long Range Toddy, 5-2 (Take Charge Indy — Steve Asmussen/Jon Court — 9: 4-1-1): Before hauled up and out of inconvenience in the Kentucky Derby, he was running a colossal race, fixed up alongside the top trip of contenders through the far turn. A 6th in the Arkansas Derby (G1) presently shows up a distortion on the resume of a generally reliable foal. Getting it done, Long Range Toddy brings strategic speed and a success risk. It merits considering that he could bob somewhat out of the Derby and extreme spring effort. Board hitter.
4. Worldwide Campaign, 3-1 (Curlin — Stanley Hough/Luis Saez — 4: 3-0-0): Entered here, he’s not a beyond any doubt thing to keep running because of a waiting foot issue. With Belmont’s Dwyer (G3) a reinforcement plan, it’s protected to state that on the off chance that he appears at Thistledown, Global Campaign is good to go. Last time he squeezed early and held off an irate late rally by the possible Belmont Stakes champ, Sir Winston, in taking the Peter Pan (G3). This time, he could accept control as the best steed who needs any piece of the pace. My top decision.
5. Going for Gold, 20-1 (Atreides — Bob Hess Jr./Jose Bracho — 4: 0-2-0): The first of two in the field possessed by Ron Paolucci Racing remains a lady following a couple of seconds to open his profession, at that point ninth-place completes in the Sam F. Davis (G3) at Tampa Bay Downs and last time in a March 9 lady extraordinary weight occasion at Gulfstream Park. He indicates four reliable works from that point forward and should demonstrate early speed before blurring. Hurl.
6. Bethlehem Road, 6-1 (Quality Road — Dee Curry/Luis Rodriguez Castro — 3: 3-0-0): The mentor Curry will shoot for her initially reviewed stakes triumph with a Parx Racing-based gelding who is unbeaten yet in addition generally untested. Last time, Bethlehem Road won the Parx Spring Derby toward the front. He could set the portions again here, or may respect Global Campaign. Bethlehem Road might merit utilizing, as his last out number fits nicely here. Use underneath?
7. Dare Day, 15-1 (Can the Man — Jeff Radosevich/Luis Raul Rivera — 2: 2-0-0): Paolucci’s second passage, this Ohio-reproduced is unbeaten in two begins, breaking his lady April 27 by 8 1/2 lengths at Belterra Park before a 7 1/2-length remittance win on May 21 at Thistledown. While the speed figure returned on par, he’ll additionally be extending from a 5 1/2-furlong run, and numbers are commonly higher for one-turn races. Hurl.
Outline: There’s an inquiry to be posed of the main three decisions with Long Range Toddy leaving a hard race, Owendale requiring a smart pace and Global Campaign managing his foot issue. Regardless of whether every one of the three aren’t taking care of business, are any of these opponents truly fit to vexed? I suggest keeping bets tight and constraining spending on this race in the multi-race wagers. For me, that implies keying on Global Campaign, should he run. Owendale is the following consistent pick.